Discussion 1: Emergency Management and the Department of Homeland Security, homework help
IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING WORD LIMIT REQUIREMENTS:
Please note that each and every assignment has its own word limit.
This discussion should be between 150 and 200 words. (The List of References should not be included in the word count.)
Discussion 1: Emergency Management and the Department of Homeland Security
The creation of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) changed the way the nation responds to catastrophic incidents. Some people argue that these changes were long overdue and improve the way emergency response occurs. Others argue that folding FEMA into DHS creates confusion and impairs an effective federal emergency response, termed federalism. This argument proposes that responses to emergency management disasters are inadequate and dangerous for people living in impacted areas. Regardless of which side of the argument policymakers find themselves, it is agreed that the DHS changed how emergency management responses are launched in the United States.
For this Discussion, consider the influence of the DHS on federal-to-state relations. Then think about the positive and negative impacts the creation of the DHS has had on emergency management.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 3 a brief explanation of how the creation of the Department of Homeland Security has influenced federal to state relations. Then explain at least one positive and one negative impact the creation of the Department of Homeland Security has had on emergency management.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
Discussion should be 150 to 200 words with at least three references…. MULTIPLE USE OF INTEXT CITATION AND PAGE NUMBER
It is important that you cover all the topics identified in the assignment. Covering the topic does not mean mentioning the topic BUT presenting an explanation from the context of ethics and the readings for this class
To get maximum points you need to follow the requirements listed for this assignments 1) look at the page limits 2) review and follow APA rules 3) create subheadings to identify the key sections you are presenting and 4) Free from typographical and sentence construction errors.
REMEMBER IN APA FORMAT JOURNAL TITLES AND VOLUME NUMBERS ARE ITALICIZED.
Assessment: You will be required to take one these Emergency Management Institute (EMI) courses this week. See the Assignment area for more details.
- FEMA. (2011). IS-700.a: NIMS an introduction. Retrieved from http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverv…
- FEMA. (2012). IS-800.B: National response framework, an introduction. Retrieved from http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverv…
- Sylves, R. (2015). Disaster policy and politics: Emergency management and homeland security (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- Chapter 6, “Intergovernmental Relations in Disaster Policy”
- Chapter 7, “Civil-Military Relations and National Security”
- FEMA. (2008, January). National response framework (P-682). Washington, D C: Department of Homeland Security.
National Response Framework. 2008. FEMA.
- Read pp. 1–12
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (2008, December). National incident management system. Washington, DC: Author.
National Incident Management System. P-501. Catalog Number 08336-1. 2008. FEMA.
- Read pp. 5–28 and pp. 45–74
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute. (2012). Independent study program (ISP). Retrieved from http://www.training.fema.gov/IS/crslist.asp?page=a…
Note: This is the portal for EMI certificates.