In 3–5 pages, summarize three leadership theories, explain how the theories can be used to influence others and build trust, and give examples of how the theories might be used as strategies for leading in the workplace or community.
To be effective, a leader should understand leadership theory. An effective leader should recognize his or her own leadership style, in order to develop strategies for influencing and rewarding others and develop the interpersonal skills that build trust.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate the purpose and relevance of leadership.
- Analyze leadership theories.
- Explain how leadership theories can be used to influence others.
- Explain how leadership theories can be used to develop interpersonal skills that build trust.
- Competency 2: Evaluate how leadership strengths apply in the workplace and within the community.
- Use examples to explain how leadership theories can be used to lead in a work environment or community.
Questions to Consider
As you prepare to complete this assessment, you may want to think about other related issues to deepen your understanding or broaden your viewpoint. You are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community. Note that these questions are for your own development and exploration and do not need to be completed or submitted as part of your assessment.
- What behaviors and characteristics do effective leaders demonstrate?
- What are some of the ways that leaders can inspire and motivate others?
Leadership will be a particularly important component of the business skills you utilize throughout your career, and it will play an even larger role as you take on additional responsibilities and work in higher level positions. For this assessment, you will learn more about some prominent leadership theories, and can undoubtedly apply those to achieve greater individual and organizational success.
To complete this assessment, research at least three of the leadership theories from the list below. Use the Capella library and the Internet to research scholarly literature on the theories you have chosen.
- Great man theory.
- Trait theory.
- Behavioral theories:
- Role theory.
- The managerial theory.
- Participative leadership:
- Lewin’s leadership styles.
- Likert’s leadership styles.
- Situational leadership:
- Hersey and Blanchard’s situational leadership.
- Vroom and Yetton’s normative model.
- House’s path-goal theory of leadership.
- Contingency theories:
- Fiedler’s least-preferred coworker (LPC) theory.
- Cognitive resource theory.
- Strategic contingencies theory.
- Transactional leadership:
- Leader-member exchange (LMX) theory.
- Transformational leadership:
- Bass’s transformational leadership theory.
- Burns’s transformational leadership theory.
Based on your research, address the following:
- Analyze each of the three theories you selected. In each analysis be sure you identify the theorists.
- Use each of the three theories to analyze the following:
- How the theory can be used by a leader to influence others.
- How the theory can be used by a leader to develop the interpersonal skills needed to build trust.
- For each theory analysis, provide examples of how the theory can be used as a strategy for leading in a work environment or in a community.
Your paper should be well organized and written in clear, succinct language. It should be approximately 3–ï»¿5 pages in length. Follow APA rules for attributing sources that support your analysis and conclusions.