For this task, you will consider some of the biochemical roles of lipids (especially fatty acids) and demonstrate how a complete lack of fat in the diet would affect these biochemical roles and human health in general.
You have been asked to help dietitians in a local community health center to better understand the importance of fat in the diet and particularly how no-fat diets affect the biochemical processes of the body.
A. Explain how lipids, in the form of triglycerides, are broken down to produce ATP, including each of the following:
● the pathways involved in the breakdown
● the substrate(s) and end product(s) of the pathways
B. Explain two differences between saturated and unsaturated fatty acids (not fats).
D. Explain how no-fat diets can affect the body (e.g., nutrient absorption, essential fatty acids), including each of the following:
● the molecule, or class of molecules affected
● how the absence of fat influences the availability of the molecule, or class of molecules
● the consequence(s), at the biochemical level (i.e., not simply physiological changes), of the change in availability