NRSE4540 Columbus State Community College Principles of Epidemiology Paper
This assignment is aligned with the module objective “Demonstrate community assessments and apply the principles of epidemiology.” As part of the written assignment, you will complete the following tasks:
- Identify one health problem you believe to be the most prevalent in your community. You may want to check with your local health department or a community health nurse. Also consider researching the morbidity/mortality rates health problems in your community. School nurses and are an excellent resource person to contact.
- Analyze the problem using Milio’s framework for prevention from the module 1 readings (Chapter three in your text, pp 41).
- Choose one of your nursing diagnoses and describe how your identified community health problem applies.
- Describe the health people 2020 national goal that relates closest to your chosen Diagnosis.
- Develop one-long term goal, minimum of three short-term goals and interventions for your chosen diagnosis (you will be developing a teaching plan in week 3).
Goals: A goal is a final outcome of what is achieved after you provide the interventions. Goals are broad in nature. Consider the long-term goal to be after one year and short-term goal after six months. These are community goals and will take longer to obtain. Consider a reduction of statistics as a long-term goal as guided by the 2020 Healthy People site. Be specific and measurable to include timeframes.
(See the examples on page 89)
Recommended headings include:
- Title Page
- Introduction (No heading needed –assure you introduced the topic of the paper with a purpose statement) – 7 points
- Content (a total of 20 points and please use the following headings)
- Introduction of Your Community Problem/Diagnosis – 2 points
- Analysis of Problem/Diagnosis Using Milo’s Framework of Prevention – 6 points
- Compare Problem/Diagnosis to Healthy People 2020 National Goals – 6 points
- Long-Term and Short Term Goal – 8 points (2 points for long-term goal and 2 points for each of the three short term goals with interventions)
- Conclusion (Again no heading required – use in conclusion or in summary at the beginning of the paragraph)– 7 points
- Stylistic Points– 6 total points – APA formatting with proper word count. Proper citations with 4 references – 2 references from required course material and two peer-reviewed references. See further criteria on rubric and underneath rubric.
Due Date: Sun, Oct 13 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the US.
Minimum of four (4) total references: two (2) references from required course materials and two (2) peer-reviewed references. All references must be no older than five years (unless making a specific point using a seminal piece of information)
Peer-reviewed references include references from professional data bases such as PubMed or CINHAL applicable to population and practice area, along with evidence based clinical practice guidelines. Examples of unacceptable references are Wikipedia, UpToDate, Epocrates, Medscape, WebMD, hospital organizations, insurance recommendations, & secondary clinical databases.
Unless otherwise specified, all the written assignment must follow APA 6th edition formatting, citations and references. Click here to download the Microsoft Word APA 6th edition template. Make sure you cross-reference the APA 6th edition book as well before submitting the assignment.
Number of Pages/Words
Unless otherwise specified all papers should have a minimum of 600 words (approximately 2.5 pages) excluding the title and reference pages.
To be successful, complete the following steps in order:
STEP 1. Review the instructional materials and finish learning activities in this module.
STEP 2. Click here to download the rubric.
STEP 3. Create a new Word document, write your paper based on the above overview.
STEP 4. Refer to APA book and rubric for correctly formatting the paper.
Community/Public Health Nursing
Title Community/Public Health Nursing Author Mary A. Nies; Melanie McEwen ISBN 978-0-323-52894-8 Publisher Elsevier – Health Sciences Division Publication Date October 1, 2018 Binding Trade Paper Type Price $118.00 Required
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
Title Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Author American Psychological Association Staff ISBN 978-1-4338-0561-5 Publisher American Psychological Association Publication Date July 15, 2009 Binding Trade Paper Type Price $28.95 Required
Healthy People 2020https://www.healthypeople.gov/