This week we focus on the politics discipline of the PEEEL framework.
You will analyze one of three case scenarios from the text book. In your analysis, make sure you focus on politics. A two page paper is required. Note: The scenario must be one of those provided. Do not use your project topic for this assignment
Every public health issue is enveloped in a complex web of politics and the often-competing interests of multiple stakeholders. It is important to understand the politics surrounding any public health policy, including the history of support and opposition, and arguments for supporting the status quo versus enacting change.
In this Assignment, you continue to investigate the impact of politics on public health, conducting a case study analysis from the discipline of politics to examine an issue in depth.
To prepare for this case study analysis, review the case studies presented in this week’s Learning Resources and select one to further investigate for your case study analysis. Then, conduct research to locate at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed resources from the Walden Library that will further support your case study analysis.
By Day 7 of this week, submit a 2-page case study analysis that synthesizes the following:
- Title page and Table of Contents
- Write the problem statement for the public health issue identified in the case study.
- In one paragraph, provide background to the public health issue identified in the case study.
- In one paragraph, overview current governmental policy associated with this public health issue.
- From the perspective of the politics discipline, explain the following:
- The political issues surrounding this public health issue.
- Whether the government has a history of supporting or opposing interventions that address this public health issue and why.
- In one paragraph, describe intervention(s) currently in place to address this public health issue.
- In one paragraph, propose an alternative intervention to address this public health issue.
- In one paragraph, conclude your analysis by summarizing the key points and takeaways.
- APA reference page
Bhattacharya, D. (2013). Public health policy: Issues, theories, and advocacy. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Review the following case study options and select one to further investigate:
- Chapter 13, “Medical Transportation: Local Practice Focus” (pp. 307–326)
- Chapter 14, “Taxes, Politics, and Public Health Policy: A Look Back at the 2008 Presidential Campaign” (pp. 327–351)
- Chapter 18, “Emergency Preparedness and Infectious Diseases” (pp. 403–425)