NO COPIED CONTENT, AT LEAST 2 REFERENCES
The Bouncing Ball
For this week’s assignment, please answer EACH of the following questions/prompts,and post them to the drop box as a single document.
- In what ways does your everyday life involve science?
- By what criteria might you determine whether a question might be answered using the scientific method?
- Identify a current piece of legislation relating to science or technology (perhaps an environmental science or energy bill). How did your representatives in Congress vote on this issue? Did they use scientific knowledge or receive wisdom to arrive at their decision?
- Which, if any, of the following objects does not exert a gravitational force on you?
- this book
- the Sun
- the nearest star
- a distant galaxy
- the Atlantic ocean
- In what sense is the Newtonian universe simpler than Ptolemy’s? Suppose observations had shown that the two did equally well at explaining the data. Construct an argument to say that Newton’s universe should still be preferred.
- How much force are you exerting when you lift a 50-pound dumbbell? What units will you use to describe this force?
- How does gravity affect the flow of blood in your body? The flow of sap in trees? How have organisms evolved to counteract the force of gravity?
- How does a sundial work? How would you build a sundial differently in Canada from one in Mexico?